Volvo Ocean Race 2014-2015

OC393

Grounded

Team Vestas Wind hits land.

The first priority for us now is the safety of the crew - that is the absolute number one priority, says Volvo Ocean Race CEO Knut Frostad.

Behind him, in Race Control, computer screens and communication systems blink and flash, and people move decisively around the room the Crisis Management Team is, unfortunately, in full operation.

The Team Vestas Wind boat has been grounded on the Cargados Carajos Shoals, some 200nm northeast of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean.

Fortunately, no one has been injured.

They reported that they were stuck on the reef, they were all safe, all the crew were in good health, no one was injured, but they had broken both rudders on the boat, adds Knut.

We have also learned about some damage to the stern compartment which has had an ingress of water, and that's the first information we had.

As the information dripped through, the rest of the fleet was also informed, and the reaction followed by relief began to flood in.

The good thing is that nobodys injured everybodys safe, says Roberto Bermudez de Castro, or Chuny, onboard Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing.

And when I say good thing, I mean its incredible nobodys injured, with the boat broken against land, enough to abandon it.

Over on Dongfeng Race Team, bowman Kevin Escoffier was hit hard by the news.

Im sad, he says. Im sad for them, and Im just imagining the situation if I was in the same one on our boat. Its very sad, very very sad.

Indeed, his boat could have quite easily endured the same fate they all could. The Franco-Chinese team only avoided the reef themselves with a last minute gybe.

Its terrible for them, and terrible for the fleet and the race, says skipper Charles Caudrelier.

We are offshore in the middle of nowhere, and on the chart, if you dont go on the maximum zoom you cant see anything.

There are shallow spots, and plenty 200m deeper - Im not surprised you can miss them, he adds.

When I was looking at the navigation a few days ago, checking these things, it took a long time for me to find them.

All-female boat Team SCA was at the back of the fleet when they received an email to say that the incident had occurred.

Weve offered assistance and were awaiting news on whether theyd like our assistance, but weve also taken an even wider berth and getting ourselves ready to go round and keep going, explains navigator Libby Greenhalgh, in the dark of the galley.

I hope theyre all okay, Im sure they are. I hope nobody got injured, but you dont normally run aground at 15 knots so there could be a few bumps and bruises.

Her team mate, Annie Lush, echoed those sentiments. Its really sad, she said, having just woken up to the news.

Its quite scary for them now Im sure and I just really hope that they can do this safely. Its tricky, its quite a big sea, its dark, and Alvimedica have gone to help.

In a slice of luck, Team Alvimedica werent too far from the Danish boat when it grounded and Race Control was able to arrange for them to divert in support of Team Vestas Wind.

Skipper Charlie Enright was in a sombre mood as his orange boat anchored close to the incident.

Weve put ourselves near the reef in a place where we can communicate with them via VHF and were checking in with them on a regular schedule, monitoring their situation. Were prepared to help in any way we can, he says.

We cant see anything. Its about 2 hours until sun rise. We can see that they have their liferafts deployed and we can see the light flashing but thats about it.

He continues. Everyone is trying to keep their heads about them, were in the watch system still, its going to be a long night, and who knows what will come of it in the morning, so were trying to keep things as business as usual as we can.

Weve taken some safety precautions and prepared the boat for potentially having some more people aboard for a while.

So what next? Well, Knut adds, its complicated but everythings stable, and under control.

I think the challenge with the current situation is that, first of all, it's in a very remote part of the planet, far away from ships, ports and services, he adds.

The closest large civilisation is in Mauritius which is more than 200 nm from this location.

That complicates the situation. That said, we have a good weather forecast for the next 24 hours, the wind is no more than 10-12 knots and is dropping.

He pauses. However it's obviously a complex and serious situation for Team Vestas Wind and for the race, and we're monitoring it very carefully.

I følge kommentar på Blur.se er der 2-3nm forskjell på øyen sin posisjon i kartet vs virkelig posisjon. Om det er tilfellet eller om det er en medvirkende årsak gjenstår å se. Det er også spekulert i om øyen er "forsvunnet" i det elektroniske kart pga for stort utsnitt/skala. Svar får vi nok først om et par dage.

Blir interessant å se hva de sier om hva som skjedde. Hvordan løser race ledelsen det ift resultatlisten når Alvimedica venter for å bistå? (noe som er sevsagt at man skal gjøre!! :smiley:)

Se forøvrig http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/video/31374_Standing-By.html

Redigert av Jonas78 (see edit history)

Bruk vest!

• 4 uker senere...
  • 5 uker senere...
  • 1 måned senere...

klart det, men de fikk 12 timer fra rutendringe til start.. Wouter selv sier det er deres feil at de ikke sjekka kartene, men dog..

Det er jo bare lykke at det ikke var flere som gikk på.. minst en båt som oppdaget grunnen bare minutter før Vestas gikk på..

Og hvorfor bare en lisens på dealjkart???? sparer seg til fant.. !

sol + øl + seiling -regn = en god sommer..

• 3 uker senere...
  • 4 uker senere...

Jeg overvejer seriøst at sejle op til GBG i juni sammen med nogle venner og se målgangem på VOR.

Men er det overhovedet realistisk at få en havneplads i de dage, eller skal man hellere tage bilen? Er de nogen, der har et godt bud på det?

Bumper lige denne...!

Delta i diskusjonen

Du kan skrive innlegget nå, det vil bli postet etter at du har registrert deg. Logg inn hvis du allerede er registrert.

Svar på dette emnet

×   Du har postet formatert tekst..   Fjern formattering

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Innholdet du linket til er satt inn i innlegget..   Klikk her for å vise kun linken.

×   Det du skrev har blitt lagret.   Slett lagret

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.