Nidelv 24 owner needs help with VP D1-30 that gets air in diesel

Utlendingen

Hei, 

Jeg har venner i Genève som eier en Nidelv 24. Paula og Jean Philippe  har noen problemer med motoren i bâten og lurte pâ om jeg kunne finne en Nidelv bâteier som kan fransk og kanskje kunne diskutere (over WhattsUp eller Facebook) med dem. 

Motor pâ bâten er en dieselmotor fra 2012 og bâten er bygd i 1983. 

Mvh, Utlendingen 

Redigert av Utlendingen (see edit history)

Trådtittel er vel litt misvisende her, fordi det man først og fremst trenger å få kontakt med, er noen som kan motor, gjerne noen som kjenner samme motortypen som dine venner har. Hvilken type båt den står i, er vel mindre relevant. 

Kommentar fra moderator:
Har redigert tittelen. (Var 'Finnes det en eier av Nidelv 24 som snakker fransk/engelsk?')

Thank you Pedaltom, here is Jean-Philippe (introduced by Utlendingen - thank you) and I am happy finding someone to help us.

Our Nidelv 24 built in 1983 with a Volvo D1-30 motor that has been changed in 2012, we likes it very much but it has never work properly...

Every years it seems to have the same motor problem due to bad pipes that let air coming within fuel.
I have changed a lot of parts (all the pipes, all filters, fuel tape), do a lot of controls, but unfortunately the same problem reappears every times.

And now it is down and I don't know where findind issue.
The engine ran steadily for a few hours, then suddenly began to slow down sharply. Then it stopped.

When I want to restart it makes knocking noises and it stops.
All the pipes seem to be ok, no water in first fuel filter, the second filter is not dirty.
But when I remove the input pipe of the fuel pump and test the pump suction with my finger it seems not working (I do the test with the starter).

May I do a wrong test? Is anybody having a problem with fuel pump? Can it be another thing?

I hope someone should have an idea. Many thanks

Hello, I have done a lot with my fuel line to my D1-30. The first problem I experienced in 2016 when I bought my boat was a restriction of fuel pickup. I did not have living diesel bug, but I suspected there was some dead small particles that clogged the input pipe in the diesel tank. I have the 90 liter aluminium tank, but I know there are different tanks from different production years. In my tank, the input pipe is just 1/4", i.e. 6.4 mm. When I bought my boat, I installed a mechanical rubber bulb pump in the  like the ones used in outboards which makes bleeding so much simpler. (Normally they are with less than 10 mm, but 10 are also available.) I also changed a quick installation shortcut that was done before I bought the boat in 2016. The return line from the engine was input directly to the primary filter that had two input options and two output options. (CAV with metal bowl.) This makes it possible to trap air in the supply line. Now I have installed a man-hole for inspection (plastic cover) and tank cleaning which also includes a 10 mm (outer diameter) diesel return pipe. 

The bulb pump has the observed extra property that it gets "inverted" (squized by itself) before the engine stops if something clogs the input! Because both the input and the output hoses of the engine are 10 mm and close to each other, I then was able to swap them, pump a few times and use the motor again. (I rarely have to open any bleeding screws, just pump some extra.)

Once I observed that the diesel valve on top of the tank was sucking air. I then just had to adjust the related nut.

Please also observe that if you have the standard CAV filter, very important not to forget the uppermost o-ring and wrongly trying to install another one! Very common and dangerous error.

Was this helpful?

Maybe an error with the feeding pump?

What happens if you pump and pump with the rubber pump? Does the engine die then?

The engine may pump too much diesel for the rubber pump to work well when the engine is running. I'm not sure how many liters the feeding pump should pump every minute...

Which error possibilities are there?

1) Clugged tank, pipe or filter (you say you have eliminated those errors)

2) Air leak (may still be a problem)

3) A defect diesel fuel feeding pump.

4) A defect high pressure diesel pump. 

5) Clugged nozzles (but probably not because the engine would have run either well or bad, not both)

I can't think of any other reason right now. Unless it's an electric error, like a stop solenoid that almost quenches the engine. 

Fiskebåten: Shetland 498 - min 16" "speed sjark" - 60 HK Evinrude VRO (deaktivert VRO)
Turbåten: Neptim 8000, VP TMD40A TAMD41B

Delta i diskusjonen

Du kan skrive innlegget nå, det vil bli postet etter at du har registrert deg. Logg inn hvis du allerede er registrert.

Svar på dette emnet

×   Du har postet formatert tekst..   Fjern formattering

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Innholdet du linket til er satt inn i innlegget..   Klikk her for å vise kun linken.

×   Det du skrev har blitt lagret.   Slett lagret

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.